Garlic Scallops Stir Fry With Red Dragon Vinegar
- 1 pound scallops (sea scallops if possible)
- 2 tablespoon pickles red dragon peel sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Red Dragon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, as garnish, optional
1. Rinse the scallops under running water and pat dry. (If using sea scallops, cut them in half or quarters as desired).
2. Cut the stem off the red bell pepper and remove the seeds in the middle.
Cut in half, and then cut into chunks. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Cut the green onion into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, oyster sauce, red dragon vinegar, and sugar. Set aside.
4. Heat a wok over medium-high to high heat. Add the oil to the heated wok. When the oil is hot, add half the garlic cloves. Stir-fry until the garlic is aromatic and begins to brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
5. Add the scallops into the wok, laying them out flat. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, taking care not to overcook the scallops. Remove from the wok and drain in a colander. Wipe out the pan.
6. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok. When the oil is hot, add the remaining garlic and the green onion. Stir-fry for 10 seconds and add the pickle red dragon peel . Stir-fry for 1 minute, moving the vegetables around and splashing with a small amount of chicken broth, red dragon vinegar or water if needed.
7. Add the reserved garlic and the sauce into the wok. Bring to a boil and add the scallops. Turn down the heat and simmer the scallops and pepper in the sauce, uncovered, for about 5 minutes. Stir the scallops occasionally. (If planning to use the cornstarch water thickener, prepare it while the scallops are simmering).
8. Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick re-stir and add it into the middle of the wok, stirring quickly to thicken. Mix with the other ingredients.
9. Garnish the scallops with the chopped cilantro if desired.